About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania, United States
What changes hath time wrought...mostly a different hair-color, a few wrinkles and loss of short-term memory.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Acting Wormy

I'm finally getting around to reading Discover 100 Top Stories of 2010. (Thanks to an on-my-back-attack of the flu!) I'm on #63 and haven't read but one that made me go 'huh?': #12 Brain Map Shows You Think Like a Worm.

This is a photo of said worm: a marine ragworm.
This photo came from this site: http://www.nordicphotos.com/EN/Details/1367832

What made news is that the ragworms' clump of neurons inside this little guy's head is "eerily" similar to our brain's cerebral cortex!
Our cerebral cortex is associated with the higher brain functions, as voluntary movement, coordination of sensory information, learning and memory, and the expression of individuality. The big news is we probably have a common evolutionary ancestor.

The more I read the more I think humans are so arrogant in their position at the top of the food chain. I am NOT a vegetarian but I still think all organisms deserve a measure of respect.

Hormonally yours,
Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment