About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania, United States
What changes hath time wrought...mostly a different hair-color, a few wrinkles and loss of short-term memory.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sex and the City of Cranford

We saw the Sex and the City movie Saturday and I must say it was very enjoyable. I wasn't a huge fan of the series, but I did watch almost every episode on TBS or TNT (I can't remember which) when they first came out in syndication. I'm not sure I watched them in chronological order. I have a terrible time remembering to watch TV shows. The later they are on the better, i.e. after kids are asleep I'm more likely to watch a show. Especially if I can watch them while in bed. About the movie- it was laugh-out-loud funny and sniffle-inducing. It satisfyingly ended the lives of these four girls or at least Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte. No, they did not die. Honestly, I don't need to know anymore about what goes on in their lives. If another SATC movie comes out I don't think I would rush to see it. I could spend another hour writing my opinion of the lives/loves/inanity of these 4 females, but I will save it. BECAUSE I have to recommend a Masterpiece Theater offering called Cranford. I think it is Sex and the City in 1800s England. I was just watching/listening to it as I was taking pictures for my Yard Sale website. I watched Cranford on PBS about a month ago and immediately ordered the DVD from them. It just arrived this past Friday. It is laugh-out-loud funny and sniffle-inducing. The men in this show are purely secondary. And I just caught the part where a cat ate some one's lace they were soaking in some concoction. Lace must have been a luxury at this time. So they rushed the cat somewhere to get a laxative. Then held the puss in a big boot and waited for .... it to come out. As gross as this sounds, it's just hilarious. I had to pause the movie there to write this. A similar occurrence happened in the SATC movie. But not to a pet. In fact, they could've used the same sound effects!

If you like Pride and Prejudice and /or Sense and Sensibility and Sex and the City you would LOVE Cranford!!! It's a show you can watch over and over and never get bored.

I have to mention the new swimming pool in Oil City that opened this weekend amid 90 degree temps and high humidity. The kids and I made it there Saturday at 4:45 and it was still packed. We stayed until it closed at 6pm. It really is a wonderful recreation area/pool. Both Sarah and Jake had a great time and couldn't wait to go back today, Sunday. Tim went with us. It makes it much easier to have him stay with Jacob and me tail Sarah! Sarah's classmates are there and she disappears quite quickly. Fortunately she is tall enough for most parts of the pool and it has a 0-depth entry. There are fountains and an area like a water park. There are 2 slides: one short/low one and one long/tall one. Sarah went down the short one and didn't realize she wouldn't be able to touch the bottom once in the water. The lifeguard had to go in after her. I was about 2 seconds behind the guard. She had swim lessons in May and thinks she is a much better swimmer than she is. She did not go back to the slide. And I stayed very close to her from then on. She starts swimming lessons again in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment